the builder

the story

.

The Red Barn and that other thing






Red Barn is always a fun and festive race. Cool setting near Taylors Falls and a nice Halloween feel. One of my favorite things about bike racing in general is the social aspect. What a great place to meet really great down to earth folks and get caught up with really good friends. And then take it to each other for the suffering. I got a slow start but soon was with a group of fast folks. Rode with Scotterob for a while and he was looking strong but rolled a tubular in a corner. I stayed with the group doing a lot of work with Jared and we rode all but a few off our wheels. The last two laps saw some attacks and I was tired from the work put in. Stayed in to finish 14th overall and 6th in the 35+. Lately the 35+ field is stacked with a bunch of good fast fellows. Driving home after a burger with my buddy CJ I got a text from the sous chef saying we were underwhelmingly booked at 10 reservations for the night and he thought I ought to go trick or treating with the kids! I did. More resting than work or so I thought. The next day at the Fridley race I had nothing. Flat out nothing. I crashed hard on a warm up lap and my head was rung a bit and never back in the game. Pulled out with 3 to go and hung out with my son Ellis instead.
Mikeyp