the builder

the story

.

Wirth win



 photo:  Frank Rowe

so this is THE race of the urban cx scene here in mpls, and I needed to repeat. I wasn't feeling that hot during the week, and worried that my cx season would go down the tubes if H1N1 caught up to me. Kids in my classes at the U were dropping, and mid week I had some congestion. Drank about 85 gallons of lemon zest tea and got plenty of sleep. Showed up at the race with the burley full of wheelsets, not sure what type of course the organizeers were going to throw at us. Turned out to be a nice mtn bike course, which suited me ok. All the usual suspects were at the start line. Dag Selandar showed up, and I'd greeted Bjorn before the start. Yes, I'm name dropping. Us geezers in the 45+ start were asking Dag if we should wait a year or two before booking our flights to France for July when the whistle blew. I don't mess around with the first couple of laps, just keep the lead in sight, and feel out the course. Then I hit it, and when Greg bobbled around a 180 in the soft stuff, I countered a move by Ladric (there were three of us in the lead group at that point) and let the blue bike fly. Somewhere in there I heard a voice at the top of the stairs whisper "you're gappin' him" .. about 200 yards later I realized "hey, that was Curt ! " Cool. Dang, I'll say it again. How cool is that to ride away from the competition, and have the dude WHO MADE YOUR BIKE whispher, 'hey, you're gappin' him" in your ear when you're cross-eyed ? frickin a.

- RPM